Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sweet Potato Pie Breakfast Bowl + An Explanation of My Food Choices!

There's been a lot of food on here lately, it's like my own personal online cookbook! I hope you all are liking the recipes and food posts. Ever since I started changing my lifestyle in terms of nutrition, I've been creating new recipes to mimic old favorites. It's a challenge that I'm really enjoying and hope you are too. I also wanted to aware everyone that I don't consume grains or refined sugars almost 100% of the time. There are still those random occasions that I want to eat a bite or two of something outside of that range and that is totally fine! So, if you are looking for unhealthy recipes packed with junk, this isn't the blog to be visiting! I just wanted to throw that out there regardless of what others may think of how I stated it. I have found that this way of eating makes me feel the best throughout my entire body and there's no turning back now because I love the way it feels! It was hard at first, but now has become the norm. Even Tyler eats most of the main dishes and he's the definition of picky! If you have any questions, let me know! I'd love to be of assistance!

Now, let's get to the fun new recipe!

This is an excellent breakfast recipe packed full of so many healthy ingredients! Let me brag about it..
*There are absolutely no added sugars (just natural ones from the fruits & sweet potato!)
*It is completely gluten free; it's packed with complex carbohydrates that will keep you fuller, longer while giving you lasting energy
*There's plenty of fiber in this dish to keep you full and promote a healthy digestive system
*It tastes delicious which is the most important factor if you ask me!

I sort of created it yesterday while I was in a rush to pack up my breakfast (because I failed at packing it the night before, whoops!) This morning I had more time and worked on perfecting it and taking the fun pics of course! I love that fact, too, that all of the ingredients in this dish are WHOLE foods! Seriously, who doesn't love that? Not wonder this way of life makes me feel so much better!

Go grab a small sweet potato, a banana, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, nut butter of your choice, and the optional unsweetened coconut flakes and let's get started!

First, clean your sweet potato!


 Then, peel the skin off! I know, I know that's where the fiber is, but I didn't like the skin in it yesterday so I peeled it today. I promise you're still getting lots of fiber in this dish! Once peeled, pierce it with a knife a few times and then microwave it for about 4 minutes.

Then, mash it up into the bottom of a large bowl.
















Next, get your banana ready. Peel it like a monkey and then slice it atop the sweet potato mash!


 Next is the strawberries. Strawberries are probably my favorite fruit in the world. I wish they were this good all year round, but I'll just have to enjoy them all the more now. Slice em up and throw on top of the bananas.


 Now, pick your favorite nut butter, serve up 2 tbsp worth, and nuke it in a dish for just a few seconds to soften just a tad. Then, drizzle the nut butter over the entire dish. Make sure to evenly distribute it so you can get a bite of the nut butter in each spoonful. Finally, if you choose you can sprinkle a few tbsp's of unsweetened flaked coconut over everything. I think the coconut really adds something here, but it's totally optional!

Time to eat!




 YUM!

Full Recipe:
1 small sweet potato; cleaned, peeled, and pierced in a few areas
1 large banana
1 cup sliced strawberries
2 tbsp favorite nut butter
2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)

Microwave the sweet potato for 4 minutes. Once done, mash into a large bowl. Slice the banana over the sweet potato mash and then layer the strawberry slices on top of the banana. Nuke your favorite nut butter for just a few seconds in the microwave to soften it up a bit and then drizzle it over the entire dish. Sprinkle on the coconut if you choose. Enjoy!


Jordan





No comments:

Post a Comment