Friday, September 20, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers: Paleo + Gluten Free!

The past few weeks I have been in a total running rut, but this morning I finally broke out of it! This morning my goal was to get in 10 miles. I set off at 5:15 with my friend, we did 4 miles before coming back to my house so she could leave. I felt good after the 4 miles and was actually excited to run more (which I haven't felt in awhile!) I drank some water, took a few chews, and set back off on one of my favorite routes. By the time I was turning around, I only had 2.5 miles left. I did just over 10 miles and honestly could've done more it felt THAT good! I am back and so excited! I have a 10k on Sunday - wish me luck! :) 

My professor gave us today off, too! It's seriously a great day! With my time, I decided to whip up a fun dish. Bell peppers were on sale this week at Hy-Vee and on the fuelsaver, so this was just simply meant to be! 

1) Brown 1 lb of ground beef (or turkey), drain. Put the meat back into the skillet, add 1 minced onion and 1 tbsp minced garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Season everything with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like (I used Mrs. Dash and extra garlic powder). 
2) Once onion is transparent, add 1 sliced zucchini to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes. 
3) After 3 minutes is up, remove the skillet from heat and add 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites (or 2 egg whites). Stir well. 
4) Cut the tops off of 4 bell peppers (keep them) and clean out each pepper. Add to a shallow dish. Evenly scoop the beef mixture into each pepper and put the tops of the pepper back on. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. 


Full Recipe: 
Ingredients 
4 bell peppers 
1 lb ground beef (or turkey) 
1 zucchini, sliced 
1 onion, minced 
1 tbsp garlic, minced 
1 can diced tomatoes 
1/2 cup liquid egg whites 
Salt, pepper, and any other seasonings 

Brown the beef and drain. Put beef back into the skillet with minced onion, garlic, and seasonings- cook until onion is transparent. Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the can of tomatoes and egg whites - stir well. Cut the tops off of the bell peppers (keep them) and remove the insides. Place into a shallow dish and then evenly scoop the beef mixture into each pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment